Sunday, April 24, 2011

update

The long stretch of only school related activity continues, but I thought I would update a bit on what I've done.  My after-school classes have been keeping me really busy as there is no curriculum for them, simply what I want to do.  I describe those classes as a welcomed burden... they can be an absolute horror to plan for, but I see the genuine interest in the students as I teach.  That is a welcomed change from the slow and boring national curriculum that I teach every day!!!  Thus far I've taught about natural disasters with my 5th-6th graders, and animals with my 3rd-4th graders... The younger students gave presentations about animals and I was very impressed with about 85% of my class.  Next up is alternative energy with my older students, and my younger students' class is being taken over by an actress who is teaching a play for the English festival that is coming in June.

School volleyball has continued with an increased intensity.  I'm split on how I feel about this, as a local restaurant has a banner proclaiming they're the official hangout or restaurant of the school's vball team.  We also have been coached by an ex-member of the S. Korean national volleyball team.  I enjoy the exercise and bonding it has brought on, but it can be difficult to plan around the volleyball schedule since I usually get less than 24 hours notice about our matches.  Recently we played in a tournament between 8 or so schools and took first place.  You had to be over the age of 40 or be a female to participate so I was tasked with cheering on the team via "highting" yelps.  "highting" is the korean way of saying "fighting" and is a team unity cheer to get everyone revved up.  or so i think?

Here's a photo of the team and fellow "highting" yelpers



Not much else is new.  I should be home from July 24th-August 5th, but plane tickets have not been purchased yet, so don't bank on that.

That'll be all for now.
Hope all is well with whoever reads this.

keith

No comments:

Post a Comment