Wednesday, December 8, 2010

fast times at Maeyeoul Elementary

Dearest readers, I'm sincerely sorry that I have not updated this blog thing in so long.  If it is true that it is the thought that counts then I have written hundreds of posts.

Recently I have been on cruise control at school... planning the occasional lesson, playing rock paper scissors, and giving an abundance of high fives.  Students have lost nearly all interest in classes as the semester draws to a close, and my lessons have taken that into account.  Games have increased, curriculum has seen some interesting twists, and rules seem to be becoming more like driving laws (polite suggestions) opposed to absolutes.

The faculty at my school plays volleyball every Tuesday and Thursday at 4 which is nice since it ends my school day 40 minutes early, and I get a little run around time in the gym.  I didn't realize how serious this was until we had some ex-professional volleyball players attend one of our bi-weekly practice sessions.  At first I was a bit skeptical about the competitive nature (surprisingly competitive!) of after school volleyball between middle aged men, but I am really enjoying it.  I think other members of the faculty who were previously too nervous to talk to me are now trying to communicate with me even though its very difficult and sometimes embarrassing for them.

Its hard to believe its nearly Christmas!  Time is flying by here, but I suppose thats an indication of how much I am enjoying my time in Korea, and how busy I am.  Hard to believe its been 5 or 6 weeks since I was dressed as a chicken and clucking my way around Seoul.  This coming weekend I'll be roaming Seoul dressed as Santa Claus and taking part in Santacon- Seoul.  The mob of Santa's should be a blast and it will definitely be fun to see all the Koreans' reactions.

Coming up on the 26th of December I'll be landing in La Crosse to visit friends and family for a while.  No definite plans as now yet, but I do plan on spending NYE in Madison!   I'm REALLY looking forward to coming home to see all of my family.  Since I moved to Madison and now the ROK, and Josh (brother) moved to Wyoming, it has become difficult to see each other.  Luckily our paths will cross over this vacation, and we'll get to catch up in person, opposed to skype.  One thing I'm NOT looking forward to is Wisconsin's freezing winter.  Suwon has had little more than flurries recently, and even that doesn't stick to the ground.  I am mildly concerned about flying home in the winter with little time between connecting flights.  The odds of flights being on time from Incheon-Detroit-Minneapolis-La Crosse seem slim, but hopefully all goes as planned.

That'll be all for now, but I like adding a picture or two on each post of students that make my life easier or fun.

1st and 2nd graders singing "Today is Monday" at the English Festival.  "All I want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" would have been more appropriate.  

A clown dressed in a monkey suit. 

D, playing doctor at the English Festival.  Student: "I have broken head"

4th grader.  Always with a smile, and always participating.  Receiver of many a high five.

No comments:

Post a Comment