Monday, October 31, 2011

bad teacher

Recently, a student learned the words bad and teacher.  she even managed to put the two words together!  (maybe I am getting to these students...)  Anyways she kept saying it since it's the only thing she knows how to say, and it got me to thinking whether or not I was a good or bad teacher.  I do believe I put a lot of time and effort into teaching, and overall I'm quite happy with my performance.  However, I realized there are certain things that I do, or don't do, that might make me a "bad teacha."

Example 1:  I have two doors to my room, and we ask the students to use the back door to enter and exit the class.  This has been a rule for a long time, and is even stated in Korean to make it abundantly clear.  Sadly, students seem to see the sign and find joy in breaking my simple request.  Actually, it wasn't my request, it was a different teacher's, but I'm annoyed when kids don't adhere to simple rules.  So, to break this bad habit I have taken a liking to letting students use the front door to leave the room to go get a drink of water or go to the bathroom.  Keep in mind you PULL this door to leave the room, and PUSH this door to enter the room.  After the student leaves the room I casually walk past the front door and lock it to make sure the student uses the back door.  What could possibly go wrong?  Well, every kid knows they shouldn't run in the halls... so what do they do???  RUN.  Usually, they bust into the room at 100 mph, look at me with a smile, and give me a look of satisfaction that they broke the rule and they don't care if I don't like it.  Locking the door while they're out fixes this.  Ever heard a small bird hit a glass window?  It gives a pretty good thump!  Well a 6th grader sounds like a flock of eagles hitting a window.  It will also elicit a good laugh from the class as well.

Example 2:  unless there is blood or actual fists getting thrown, I DON'T CARE.  slapping is way too common here...

Example 3:  after school I pretend that my ipod is playing even when I haven't picked a song yet.  see you tomorrow kiddies...

Example 4:  the student who named himself golden now has a new nickname.  Aluminum.  and it's sticking.

Example 5: More worksheets have been distributed during football season than the rest of the year combined.  when Green Bay opened the season on thursday night I made the most difficult word search known to man.  I win.

Example 6:  I spent 30 minutes writing this blog entry instead of planning my lesson that'll occur in an hour.  better wrap this up...

Example 7:  I spent 20 minutes, before the aforementioned 30 minutes, trying to find the best video clip of the teacher from charlie brown.

I'm sure there are more examples, and I'll post them as I think of them.  Perhaps some will be more elaborate such as example 1.

sincerest regards,

a tired teacher


No comments:

Post a Comment