Tuesday, April 24, 2012

BBB 3: no classes and bibimbop!

Day three of the bonanza brings one of the better days I've had at school.  As you'll see, it does not take much to make my day.  I received the greatest gift one can give to an ESL teacher, the news that 6th grade students will be occupied all day with standardized testing!!!  NO CLASSES!!!  Instead I caught a few innings of the Brewers' beatdown on the Astros, caught up with my brother, and prepped for my little kids class this afternoon.  If that wasn't enough, the lunchroom was serving BIBIMBOP!  For some reason Wednesdays tend to offer the best school lunches, which is why they are affectionately known as Tasty Wednesdays.     






I planned on giving a glimpse of my day through photos, but with no classes and the rain outside I have decided to postpone the photos.  


Today's two questions:


Which student has had the most impact on you, and why?


The student who immediately comes to mind is a girl named Sunny.  She's been in my class since I started in Korea, so I've had the opportunity to see her grow up a bit.  Kids change a hell of a lot between 4th grade and 6th grade!  She will be my most memorable student when all is said and done.  In 4th grade she struggled with the alphabet, however she attended my phonics after-school class during my first semester here.  She always tried her hardest in every class, and always came with a great attitude.  I was really fortunate to teach that class my first semester!  They really made me want to become a better teacher!  After that class, she spent 5th grade somewhere near the middle of the pack in regards to English ability in the class.  Now, as a 6th grader, she is one of the most active students in regular classes, and even applied to my advanced English class.  Unfortunately she wasn't selected for the advanced class, but it's miraculous how far she's come in less than two years!  It is so much more difficult for the students to pick up the basics of the language if they don't try to learn it in the earlier grades.  This is mostly due to the incredible criticism each student gets from their peers.  Not only has she caught up with her classmates in English, but also is an outstanding student.  She's the most respectful and happy student I have.  


Question 2:


Do you think you are making an impact on your students' English ability?


Nope.  just wasted two years of my life. 


Kidding, I do think I have had some sort of impact on my students English skills.  Obviously, as an elementary teacher I have different expectations or goals than a high school teacher.  I think I've had a significant impact on my youngest students, even though it has been the simplest things.  I have 5th and 6th graders who don't know the ABCs, and without them, the most basic building blocks, they won't learn any English outside of what they glean from their video games.  If the youngest leave my class with the ABC's, some numbers, and maybe even colors, I'll be content.  They also won't be scared to participate in English class once it really starts for them.


As for my older students, I think I have helped their English abilities in different ways.  When these students leave elementary school I hope they've gained some comfort in using English.  Many Koreans have some English ability but refuse to use it.  Losing face is not an option in this country, so it is easier to say "I don't know" than to try and be wrong.  I hope they're more comfortable with foreigners, and open to learning English in a more serious setting when they grow older.  I also hope they can use past-tense verbs by the time they're done here, but that's shooting for the stars. 


In short, I think I have.  Some more than others.  I just hope they don't hate English by the time they leave.  






Take a moment to check out the other blogs!

Julia Bass

Emily Gaynor

David Klug

Zach McLeod & Liz Wansley

Matt Marx

Soren Nieminen

No comments:

Post a Comment