Tuesday, April 24, 2012

BBB day 2!

Day 2 of the Badger Blogging Blitz!

Two questions and a rant about something I won’t miss about the ROK.

First up,

"How does your school experience at the age of your students compare to that in Korea?"
I look forward to reading my fellow badgers’ answers to this question. We range from elementary school to high school, so we’re going to have a variety of answers.

Personally, my elementary school experience was nothing like the school in which I teach. I think there are two main contributing factors that explain why they differ. First, and most obvious, is that I went to elementary school nearly two decades ago. I hope my school (Summit Elementary) has evolved some from the time I attended it in the early 90’s. I’m positive it has because I remember our computer lab with old-school Macs that had black and green screens. The hottest game at the time was Number Munchers, the hardest level being “Prime Numbers.” I’ve had a passionate hatred for prime numbers due to my consistent low scores.

maybe level 1 wasn't so bad


In comparison, a robotics class is being taught in my classroom at the moment. First and second graders are making motorcycles out of Legos and small battery-powered motors. Pretty cool!

The other way my experience in elementary school differs is the schools’ priorities are much, MUCH different. I don’t believe I had a cultural experience in grade school. A small school in rural Wisconsin doesn’t care about such things. The most cultural tidbit we learned was what a Dradle is and the game that accompanies it. Nothing more than a candy opportunity in music class.

Contrast that with what I am doing in Korea. 5th and 6th graders have three hours of English each week. The younger students have 1 or 2 hours. I teach English but also teach about culture whenever possible. Students in my classes are already clamoring about what countries they hope to visit, and have a fairly good understanding of why English might be very important in their future.

It might seem like these students are going to be so much better off than my generation, but these kids go home and melt their faces off with World of Warcraft...

on every street corner


Next question:

"If you had the opportunity to change 5 things at your school, what would they be and why?

I think this question is better answered from some of the other writers. My big complaints are petty and embarrassing. I am the first to admit that I work in an above average school. Actually, it’s probably one of the best in the area.

1. I’d change the lunch menu. No more octopus, squid, or whole fish dishes. While we’re at it I’d remove all meat that has bones. I can’t fathom American schools giving kids dishes with bones in them.

2. Change the location of this robotics class that I’m stuck in. 8 year olds making robots means they’re also making every robot noise they can think of.

3. Corporal punishment (kidding)
A. (kind of)

4. More time for the kids to play outside.

5. More time devoted to ANYTHING that allows the students to be creative. I see a lot of followers and only one or two leaders in my classes.





My time is coming to an end in South Korea, and recently I’ve spent a bit of time on what I think I’ll miss in Korea, and things I can’t wait to escape. I thought I’d share one of the things I cannot wait to escape. South Korea's surprising inefficiency.

I could point to many examples that would display their ability to not be productive, but one in particular sticks out in my mind. It happened last week while I was waiting for the bus to school. When I see police officers in in my neighborhood I tend to watch them simply because there is no crime. I’m always curious how they spend their days (they should blog). First, their police cars are super small, basically a modern Geo Metro. What would they do if they actually had to detain someone? Next, they drive in pairs, taking the buddy system to a whole new level. I could definitely understand this if it was New York City or a rough part of Chicago. Instead, they both manage to do nothing while looking busy. This is what it means to be a diligent worker, I think. In this particular moment the two men seemed baffled by a car that had been parked slightly too close to the bus stop. They managed to secure a perimeter and wait. Next, a new SUV pulls up where two city employees get out to examine the vehicle in question. They confirm it’s too close to the bus stop and take some pictures. The first set of officers write up a lengthy ticket and put it on the windshield. They chatted a bit more, and then all drive off. Four people, 20 minutes,a ticket, and a car that doesn’t get moved.

There are many things I’ll miss about South Korea. Their form of diligence will not be one of them.




Don’t stop now. Click on the links below to check out other Badger blogs!


Julia Bass

Emily Gaynor

David Klug

Zach McLeod & Liz Wansley

Matt Marx

Soren Nieminen

No comments:

Post a Comment